Nomad Movement Demo
A downloadable game for Windows
About this Prototype
Run, jump, and dash through a maze of blocked-out areas randomly sequenced together. I'm releasing the Nomad Movement Demo to receive feedback on movement feel and accessibility from players as early as possible.
This prototype will gradually shift into an early demo of Blightseeker, a VR Adventure-Platformer currently in development.
(more information about the project)
Jon Ludwig's Twitter
(small development updates)
Donate via Ko-fi
Donations are always appreciated and help me spend more time on the project.
Thank you to those who donate!
4 movement styles supported
- Teleport - best for those sensitive to artificial movement in VR. Tilt your controller joystick forward to aim your teleporter, and release the stick to teleport.
- Armswing - RECOMMENDED - moving your arms helps reduce discomfort and is just fun to do, so touch your controller joysticks (one for half speed or both for full speed) and move your hands in front of you as if you were walking to move forward. You can also swing your hands behind you to move backward
- Joystick, Look Forward - Tilt the left controller joystick forward to move in the direction you are looking, you can also strafe and move backwards.
- Joystick, Hand Pointing Forward - Tilt the left controller joystick foward to move in the direction your left hand is pointing, you can also strafe and move backwards.
Rotation - Tilt the joystick of the controller in you dominant hand left or right to snap-turn in that direction.
Jumping - Hold down the jump button (shown in the in-game prompts or via the steam input binding menu), throw your hand down, and release the button. Be careful not to throw your controller.
Dashing Hold down the dash button (shown in the in-game prompts or via the steam input bindings menu), aim the dash icon by looking forward, and throw your hand forward. Be careful not to throw your controller.
I want to hear from you!
💬 I found a bug when .....
💬 Some <img.... text appeared, I was using [headset].
💬 Moving with the joystick was too fast / slow / made me sick!
💬 I didn't understand what happened when ......
💬 It was totally awesome how .....!
🔻🔻 Let me know in the comments below! 🔻🔻
Thank you for commenting! This prototype is going to be full of jank and bugs in its early state. The more feedback I can respond to, the better this prototype will become!
VR Headset and SteamVR Required
|Valve Index / Index Controllers||✅ Tested, fully functioning, best experience.|
|Oculus Quest / Quest 2 via Link||✅ Tested, fully functioning.|
|Oculus Quest / Quest 2 (native)||❌ Quest 2 in standalone is not supported at this time.|
|Windows MR||❓ Controller support implemented but not tested.|
|HTC Vive / Vive Wands||❓ Controller support implemented but not tested|
|HTC Vive Cosmos||❓ Controller support implemented but not tested|
|HP Reverb G2||❌ Controller bindings not set, possible via SteamVR Input|
|Other SteamVR Compatible Headsets||❌ Controller bindings not set, possible via SteamVR Input|
Not yet implemented / in progress:
(This list will change as development continues)
- Choosing right or left hand dominance switches the location of the cash card and item slot on your belt.
- Choose which hand performs snap rotation (currently set to the chosen dominant hand)
- Choose between snap rotation, smooth rotation, or no artificial rotation.
- Toggle the comfort speed-lines and vignette, and adjust comfort vignette intensity.
- Add missing sound, background ambience, particle effects.
- Stop items grabbed at a distance from yeeting themselves away from the player under certain circumstances.
- Stop player from moving in the last registered direction after death.
- Hostile frogs should sound less like dogs barking.
- Many more features and introductory story beats.
|Made with||GIMP, Unreal Engine, Inkscape, Blender|
|Tags||3D Platformer, Colorful, Low-poly, Procedural Generation, Virtual Reality (VR)|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Inputs||Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Oculus Quest, Windows Mixed Reality, Valve Index|
|Links||Homepage, Twitter, Ko-fi|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Small Update - Preliminary bracelet changes and dead movement fixMar 17, 2021
- Small Update - FrogsMar 13, 2021
- Small Update - Fixes to TeleportFeb 28, 2021
- Small Update - Quest Input Binding FixFeb 27, 2021
- Small Update - More Sounds, More Areas, Less MBFeb 27, 2021
- Small Update - Sounds and Bug FixesFeb 25, 2021
- Small Update - Title screen and new particle effectsFeb 23, 2021
- Nomad Movement Demo now available!Feb 22, 2021
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.